School Logo

Howitt Primary Community School

Achieve, Care, Enjoy

Parent/Carer survey results

 

Thank you to all the parents/carers who completed the survey.

 

HOWITT PRIMARY COMMUNITY SCHOOL

PARENT SURVEY RESULTS 2021

 

Dear Parents/Carers

Firstly, we would like to thank you very much for such a fantastic response to our survey sent out in July. There has been an increase in the number of responses this year, which gives us a wider range of views.

As Headteacher, it has helped me to establish quickly the strengths of the school and areas to develop. The feedback was overwhelmingly positive and I will share some of the comments below. However, in the comments section there were some useful suggestions with how we could improve and I would like to share these with you too:

Highlights

  • 99.4% agree or strongly agree that their child is happy at this school.
  • 98% agree or strongly agree that their child feels safe at this school.
  • 99.4% agree or strongly agree that their child works to the best of his/her ability and does well at this school.
  • 97.5% agree or strongly agree that their child is well looked after at this school.
  • 99.4% agree or strongly agree that their child is taught well at this school.
  • 99.4% agree or strongly agree that the school makes them aware of what their child will learn (e.g. school website, year group newsletters, emails, text messages and conversations with staff)
  • 92% strongly agreed, agreed or didn’t know that the school makes sure its pupils are well behaved. (Of the remaining responses, 8% disagree).
  • 94.4% of the responses stated that the school deals effectively with bullying or that their child had not been bullied. (Of the remaining responses 5.6% disagree or strongly disagree).
  • 98.8% agree, strongly agree or selected they don’t know that the school is well led and managed. (Of the remaining responses 1.2% disagree).
  • 94.4% of the responses stated that they agree or strongly agree that the school responds well to any concerns raised. (Of the remaining responses 5.6% disagree).
  • 95% agree or strongly agree that they receive valuable information from the school about their child’s progress (e.g. informal phone calls, parent consultations, formal reports and online learning).
  • 97.5% agree or strongly agree that they would recommend this school to another parent.

    Summary of main strengths

  • Excellent, approachable and dedicated staff willing to help.
  • The support the children receive if they have/ are going through a difficult time.
  • Children are made to feel valued.
  • Children feel safe at school.
  • An inclusive school with a strong community spirit.
  • The school is well led and managed.
  • Understanding of children’s needs.
  • Safe, respectful and happy learning environment.
  • Good communication between school and home e.g. e-mails, website and text messages.

    Sample comments included:

  • My child is always happy
  • Can’t praise the school enough for their continued support to us as a family
  • All teachers and staff have gone above and beyond to make my children feel safe, secure and welcome.
  • My child’s learning has come along so much even though there has been a lockdown
  • Our child loves coming to school and always has a smile on her face in a morning
  • Despite the year we have had, she has progressed really well and I am impressed with her learning
  • Good security
  • My child has enjoyed all the different topics
  • My child has come on leaps and bounds since moving to this school in 2017
  • Reading is always encouraged at school and at home, children get good rewards
  • Thank you to all staff for all their hard work and dedication.
  • The nurture is fantastic
  • My child loves to show us how much she has read and wants to read more at home
  • Extra activities offered (eg. yoga bugs, forest schools, music lessons and the reading club).
  • I really like the reading journal, I feel regularly updated
  • It is a brilliant community and my children feel valued as pupils and I do as a parent
  • The way school was managed and continues to be managed during hard times is second to none
  • The headteacher is familiar with all children
  • Fantastic teachers
  • Always up to date letting parents know important info/ dates eg through text message
  • My child is happy and engaged.
  • Dealt well with COVID-19 restrictions
  • Great, ever improving learning environment
  • They listen, they help, they understand.

    Main Areas to Develop

    School Response

    More information needed about how the school deals effectively with bullying.

    94.4% stated the school has dealt effectively with bullying or their child hadn’t been bullied. 9 survey responses indicated that they thought the school didn’t deal effectively with bullying.

    We take parents’ comments very seriously and are very happy to discuss any concerns raised. The survey allowed for parents/ carers to comment on key strengths of the school; it was highlighted through numerous comments that a key strength of Howitt Community Primary School was that staff were approachable and were willing to give time to discuss concerns raised.  

    We do encourage parents to contact the school to meet with myself or other members of staff if they feel their child is being bullied. As a school, we ensure that the pupils fully understand what bullying means and involves and who to talk to if they have worries. This is reinforced through weekly lessons, school and class assemblies, our display boards and the introduction of peer buddies and mentors on the playground. Our PSHE curriculum has a focus on relationships and teaches our pupils about kind/unkind words and the different feelings and emotions linked to these.

    We follow many procedures to ensure that our children feel safe and happy such as friendship/respect week. We are now aiming towards ‘360 safe’, an accredited online safety award. Online safety is part of weekly taught sessions. This year the NSPCC delivered a virtual workshop called “speak out, stay safe”, for all pupils as they were unable to attend school given the pandemic. We are going to reintroduce the digital leaders in school and they have previously created a film that promotes respect online.

    More information needed as to how the school ensures that its pupils are well behaved.

    92% strongly agreed, agreed or didn’t know if the school ensures that its pupils are well behaved. 13 responses disagreed with this statement.

    We are a supportive and inclusive school and have a nurturing ethos. We are a diverse community and we continue to support all children in their everyday school life. We understand it can be difficult for some children for many reasons. We use nurture support, a counselling service, family liaison, positive play and a positive people group, to give children opportunities to share worries and to give them strategies to enjoy positive experiences. All staff follow a behaviour policy, that can be found on our school website https://www.howittprimary.org.uk/policies/. We work closely with parents to ensure that their children are well supported at school and at home and are positively engaged in their learning. Lunchtime clubs will resume to give pupils a chance to come away from a busy playground. A play leader and learning mentor continue to work with children on the playground to develop social skills and improve the lunchtime experience.

     

    To further develop the understanding of addressing concerns that are raised.

    94.4% strongly agreed or agreed that there hadn’t been any concerns to raise and the school responds well. 9 responses disagree and suggest this is an area for development.  

    The school is very keen to address any concerns that you may have, however small. We are always available to listen and decide on next steps to quickly resolve any concerns or worries. It is always the happiness and safety of your children that is at the heart of everything that we do.

     

    Sample of other suggestions

  • We are aware that issues around parking on Cottage Garden Lane are an ongoing concern for the safety of the children outside the school gates and the nearby residents. We have informed the police again and we continue to remind parents about the need to be respectful when parking.
  • We understand that it is important to celebrate the successes of our children and our celebration assemblies will be resuming again. You will be informed if your child has been given the star of the week.  
  • We are hopeful that more extracurricular clubs will be able to restart.
  • Our focus this year is on healthy life choices and drinking water. Our PSHE curriculum teaches life skills, which includes emergency first aid.
  • Discussions around an online booking/message/email system for evening owls and breakfast club will take place.

 

Once again, thank you for your support and suggestions. I am sure that you will agree that it is important that we continue to work together and that our partnership with you is vital. Thank you for all the positive comments and I will share them with all staff. They will be very pleased and proud that you hold them and the school in such high regard.

 

Yours sincerely

 

Mrs Lynn Pilling

Head teacher

 

 

 

 

 

Top