Years 3 and 4 Questions for Reading
While reading with your child, try to choose one questions from each section. You could ask more than one type of questions per page. This will check that your child really understands what they are reading and could lead you into further conversations about the book.
Repair meaning breakdown
- What do the words ... and ... suggest about the character, setting and mood?
- Which word tells you that….?
- Which keyword tells you about the character/setting/mood?
- Find one word in the text which means……
- Find and highlight the word that is closest in meaning to…….
- Find a word or phrase which shows/suggests that…….
- From the cover what do you think this text is going to be about?
- What is happening now? What happened before this?
- What will happen after?
- What does this paragraph suggest will happen next? What makes you think this?
- Do you think… will happen? Yes, no or maybe? Explain your answer using evidence from the text.
- What questions or 'I wonder…' statements come to your mind after looking at the front cover, reading the blurb or reading this section?
Using our background knowledge
- Can you think of another story, which has a similar theme; e.g. good over evil; weak over strong; wise over foolish? Do you think this story will go the same way?
- Which other stories have openings like this? Do you think this story will develop in the same way?
- Have you been in a similar situation to the character(s) in this story? What was your experience like?
- Why is the text arranged in this way?
- What is the purpose of this text feature?
- What is the author’s point of view?
Being detectives – using our inference
- Find and copy a group of words which show that…
- How do these words make the reader feel?
- How do the descriptions of … show that they are ...?
- How can you tell that a character is happy/sad/excited etc?
- What was … thinking when...?
- Who is telling the story? How do you know?
VIP – What are the very important parts?
- What is the setting of this story or section of this story?
- Who are the main characters in the story? Who is your favourite character any why?
- What can you tell me about the main characters?
- Summarise what happens at the beginning of the story.
- What is the problem in the story?
- How is the problem solved?