Year 2 Questions for Reading
While reading with your child, try to choose one question from each section. You could ask more than one type of question per page. This will check that your child really understands what they are reading and could lead you into further conversations about the book.
- Read this sentence. What does this tell you about … ?
- Write two words that tell you what the … feels like.
- Can you find a noun/adjective/verb that tells/shows you that…?
- Why do you think that the author used the word…to describe…?
- Which other word on this page means the same as…?
- Find an adjective in the text, which describes…
- From the cover what do you think this book is going to be about? Why?
- Where do you think … will go next?
- What do you think … will say / do next?
- How do you think this book will end? What makes you say that?
- Who do you think has done it? What makes you think this?
- Do you think … will happen? Why? Use evidence from the text.
Using our background knowledge
Being detectives – Inference Questions
- What do you think… means? Why do you think that?
- Why do you think…?
- How do you think…?
- When do you think…?
- Where do you think…?
- How has the author made us think that…?
VIP – What are the very important parts?
- Who is / are the main character(s)?
- When / where is the story set?
- Which is your favourite / worst / funniest / scariest part of the story? Why?
- What happened at the beginning of the story?
- What is the problem in the story?
- How is the problem solved?
- Tell me three facts you have learnt from the text.
- Find the part where...