School Logo

Howitt Primary Community School

Achieve, Care, Enjoy

Parent/Carer survey results

 

Thank you to all the parents/carers who completed the surveys.

 

HOWITT PRIMARY COMMUNITY SCHOOL

PARENT/CARER SURVEY RESULTS 2019

 

Dear Parents/Carers

Firstly, we would like to thank you very much for such a fantastic response to our survey sent out in July. We received over 100 questionnaires; this was a good response and one that we are pleased with.

As headteacher it has helped me to establish quickly the strengths of the school and areas to develop. The feedback was overwhelmingly positive and I would like to share some of the comments with you. However, in the comments section there were some useful suggestions with how we could improve and I would like to share these with you too:

 

Highlights

  •  97% agree or strongly agree that their child is happy at this school.
  •  100% agree or strongly agree that their child feels safe at this school.
  •  100% agree or strongly agree that their child makes good progress.
  • 100% agree or strongly agree that their child is well looked after at this school.
  • 100% agree or strongly agree that their child is taught well at this school.
  •  94% agree or strongly agree that the school makes sure its pupils are well behaved.

(Of the remaining responses, 4% disagree, 1% strongly disagree and 2% selected don’t know).

  • 86% agree or strongly agree that the school deals effectively with bullying. (Of the remaining responses, 6% disagree or strongly disagree and 8% selected don’t know).
  • 94% agree or strongly agree that the school is well led and managed. (Of the remaining responses, 1% disagree and 5% selected don’t know).
  • 98% agree or strongly agree that the school responds well to any concerns raised. (Of the remaining responses 2% disagree).
  •  95% agree or strongly agree that they receive valuable information from the school about their child’s progress. (Of the remaining responses, 5% disagree).
  •  94% agree or strongly agree that they would recommend this school to another parent. (Of the remaining responses, 2% disagree and 4% selected don’t know).1 response said maybe

 

Summary of main strengths

  • Excellent, approachable and dedicated staff.
  • Strong leadership of the school 
  • Community spirit
  • Safe, respectful and happy learning environment
  • Good communication e.g. e-mails, website and text messages
  • Team are friendly and mindful of children’s well- being     

 

Sample comments included:

  • Teachers care deeply about the students
  • Great provisions for breakfast club and after school
  • My child loved the forest school sessions
  • Extra- curricular help when required
  • Superb encouragement on behaviour
  • Staff bring the best out in the children
  • Staff have a desire to teach
  • The school is very secure
  • Thanks for looking after my boys- you all do a great job
  • The variety of different activities
  • Strong leadership, great communication and friendly approachable staff
  • Children are informed and have a consistent timetable
  • Learning is fun and engaging
  • There is a personal feel about the school especially considering how many children and families there are
  • Reward system is excellent

 

Main Areas to Develop

  • More information needed about how the school deals effectively with bullying – 8 comments said they didn’t know, which suggests there are no issues of bullying.
  • More information needed as to how the school ensures that its pupils are well behaved – 5 comments
  • More updates regarding pupil progress – 6 comments

 

School Response

86% agree or strongly agree that the school deals effectively with bullying. (Of the remaining responses 7% disagree or strongly disagree (7 comments) and 7% (8 comments) selected don’t know.

We take parents’ comments very seriously and are very happy to discuss any concerns of bullying with parents. We do encourage parents to contact the school to meet with myself or other members of staff if they feel their child is being bullied. As a school, we do ensure that the pupils do fully understand what bullying means and involves and who to talk with if they have worries.  We do this through being available for the children to talk, weekly lessons, school and class assemblies, our display boards and the introduction of peer buddies and mentors on the playground. We follow many procedures to ensure that our children feel safe and happy such as friendship/respect week and Blue Day. We are now aiming towards a Derbyshire accredited award. Online safety is part of weekly taught sessions. We also hold parent information events and these are delivered by staff, ‘Our Derbyshire’ online safety consultant (Traci Goode) and the NSPCC. Also we regularly send out leaflets with updated information. We have digital leaders in school and they have created a film that promotes respect online.

94% agree or strongly agree that the school makes sure that its pupils are well behaved – 5 comments suggest this is an area to improve and 2 comments didn’t know.

We support the children in their everyday school life and understand it can be difficult for some children. We use nurture support, positive play and a positive people group to give children opportunities to share worries and to give them strategies to enjoy positive experiences. We work closely with parents to ensure that children are well behaved, enjoy coming to school and are positively engaged in their learning. Lunchtime clubs also give pupils a chance to come away from a busy playground. A play leader and learning mentor are now working with children on the playground to develop social skills and improve the lunchtime experience.

 

95% agree or strongly agree that we are good at giving you valuable information about your child’s progress. 5% disagree (6 comments). Therefore, as well as our twice yearly parents’ evenings and yearly school report, we are going to continue to provide an open book evening where you can view your children’s books alongside them. We will continue to invite you into school as we have done this year e.g. stay and play phonics, maths and writing workshops.

Also teachers will continue to communicate with you via the children’s home/school diary and of course over the telephone. If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact your child’s teacher, who will always be glad to help. In addition to this, we will continue to host parent information events. The website continues to be a good place for you to keep up to date with what your child is doing in school as we know that they don’t always tell you!

 

Sample of other suggestions

  • Double yellow lines on Cottage Garden Lane and fines in place
  • Text alerts for pupils that have done well
  • More competitive sports
  • Girls’ football team
  • Parents to meet the new teachers before the year starts

 

Once again, thank you for your support and suggestions. I am sure that you will agree that it is important that we continue to work together and that our partnership with you is vital. Thank you for all the positive comments and I will share them with all staff. They will be very pleased and proud that you hold them and the school in such high regard.

 

Yours sincerely

 

Mrs Lynn Pilling

Head teacher

Top