Welcome to the Howitt Nursery information page, I am Miss Gregg the nursery teacher, I work alongside three nursery teaching assistants Mrs. Poyser, Mrs. Sloman and Mrs. Riley. Myself and all the teaching assistants will support your child’s learning journey throughout their time in nursery.
2 year Funding
From September 2017 we will be providing free childcare places for 2 year olds for morning sessions 8.45 to 11.45am.
To check if you are eligible for free 15 hours and apply visit
- text Child to 86555 and get a call back
- call 01629 539316 or 01629 539319 (9am to 5pm weekdays)
If you wish to book a visit or require any more information please phone Ellinor Edgeley Early Years Co-ordinator or Debbie Walker on 01773 713217
30 hour funding for 3 and 4 year olds
From September 2017 parents who are entitled to the 30 hour free funding will be able to have a full time place at Howitt Nursery.
You can check if you are eligible by logging on to:
and then follow the links on the screen. Once you have your eligibility code please bring it in to school and you can fill in your session choices.
If you need any more information please phone 01773 713217 for further help and advice.
am session 8.30-11.30am
pm session 12.30-3.30pm
all day session 8.30-3.30pm (bring your own lunch)
Extra sessions will cost £3.50 per hour
Breakfast club is also available from 7.30 am
Learning in Nursery
In the first half term your child will be settling into nursery life and learning all about what happens and what we do. Each half term the children will be involved in a different topic/learning theme, our topics for this year are:
- Ourselves – What do I know about me?
- Toys – What is your favourite toy?
- Traditional Stories
- Adventure stories – Where will we go on our adventure?
- Animals – What do we know about different animals?
- Authors – What are our favourite books? Other useful information about our nursery and the Early Years can be found in out Nursery Prospectus. Please take a look and if you have any question please come in and see the nursery staff.
- For more information please see our half term topic newsletter (link listed below). The newsletter also contains dates for your diary and other events happening in the Early Years.
Helping your child at home
During your child’s induction sessions you will have been given a ‘Welcome to Nursery Pack’, if you haven’t received this pack please come and see me (Miss Gregg). This welcome pack contains many different resources and activities that supports the learning that takes place in nursery, including numbers and counting, phonics, mark making and writing, singing etc.
Throughout the year you and your child will be given different activity packs that will support your child’s learning at different stages. These activity packs will contain phonic or math’s activities as well as topic based and interest based activities.
During this half term your child will be given their own library book pack. Your child can change their library book here at nursery on a regular basis and we encourage children to choose their book independently. In the pack there will be large plain book where your child can draw a picture about their favourite part of the story. Please encourage your child to mark-make, draw or write something about the book and talk about what they liked and did like about it
For more information please see our nursery newsletters.